3M Health Care Again Wins Practice Greenhealth “Champion for Change” Award for Sustainability
ST. PAUL, Minn.–(BUSINESS WIRE)–Practice Greenhealth, a leader in promoting environmental stewardship, has again presented a “Champion for Change” Award to 3M Health Care for the company’s success in greening its operations and for helping customers improve their environmental footprint.
“We are thrilled to be recognized a second time with this prestigious award for sustainability,” said Ann Meitz, Sustainability Director, 3M Health Care Business Group. “At 3M we work hard to apply science to solve customer needs every day, whether it is to help improve patient outcomes, reduce waste or use less energy.”
3M was recognized for its commitment to sustainability, including:
- 69% absolute reduction in greenhouse gas emissions since 2002 from company operations and purchased energy (Scope 1 and Scope 2 emissions).
- 30% reduction in energy use from 2005 baseline (indexed to sales).
- Prevention of more than 4.2 billion pounds of pollutants since launching its unprecedented Pollution Prevention Pays (3P) program in 1975.
3M solutions for improving outcomes and sustainability in health care include:
- 3M™ Littmann® Stethoscopes with superb acoustic performance and resilient next-generation tubing that retains its shape and flexibility even after folding tightly into a pocket. It provides longer stethoscope life due to improved resistance to skin oils and alcohol, is less likely to pick up stains and is made without natural rubber latex or phthalate plasticizers.
- 3M™ Skin and Nasal Antiseptic helps reduce the risk of surgical site infections when part of a comprehensive preoperative protocol and also supports antibiotic stewardship efforts.
- The first 3M Sustainability in Health Care Summit was held in October 2015. The summit was attended by thought leaders from across the country who came together to share innovative best practices and to advance Sustainability in the health care market.
- In addition to health care products, 3M also makes sun filtering and energy-saving window films; sustainable fire suppression fluids; high-efficiency air filtration systems; and surface-cleaning products designed to help hospitals and other facilities reduce energy, water usage and waste.
“I’m proud to accept this award on behalf of the 3M people around the world who work to make our internal operations more sustainable and who apply 3M science to create sustainable and innovative solutions that improve people’s lives,” Meitz said.
The Practice Greenhealth Environmental Excellence Awards were presented in Dallas, Texas, on May 19, at the CleanMed Conference & Exhibition – the premier national environmental conference for leaders in health care sustainability. To learn more about 3M’s sustainable solutions for health care, visit www.slideshare.net/IPSolutions3M.
At 3M, we apply science in collaborative ways to improve lives daily. With $30 billion in sales, our 90,000 employees connect with customers all around the world. Learn more about 3M’s creative solutions to the world’s problems atwww.3M.com or on Twitter @3M or @3MNewsroom.
About Practice Greenhealth:
Practice Greenhealth is the nation’s leading health care community dedicated to transforming health care worldwide so that it reduces its environmental footprint, becomes a community anchor for sustainability and a leader in the global movement for environmental health and justice. To learn more about Practice Greenhealth visitwww.practicegreenhealth.org.