Working to drive the next evolution in buyer/supplier engagement on sustainability by identifying and promoting leading industry-driven supplier engagement approaches that are built on shared responsibility, focused on actionable outcomes and aligned with global systems/standards.
Corporate sustainability leaders face challenges related to the wide variety of expectations for assessing supply chain sustainability. Many are seeking ways to better understand the sustainability performance of companies within their supply chain while responding to similar requests from their own customers. While the objectives of such efforts are often similar, their approaches are typically quite different. GEMI believes there is strong potential to enhance coordination across efforts and further home in on data that drives action while increasing value for both buyers and suppliers.
GEMI SCS MISSION
To address these concerns, GEMI has worked to build a cross-industry coalition of leading companies and industry trade associations to promote increased alignment across industry-focused supply chain sustainability initiatives while advancing strategic collaborations that drive innovation and continuous improvement in the sustainability performance of both buyers and suppliers. The Work Group leads a variety of internal research and external communication and education activities to advance its vision.
GEMI SCS WORK GROUP – 2018 OBJECTIVES
- Increase awareness of existing industry-focused SCS solutions, and promote activities in support of those issues identified in GEMI Responsible Supply Chain Guiding Principles.
- Deliverable: Develop GEMI Q&A Profiles on Industry Approaches to SCS. Publish bi-monthly blog feature interviewing project members and/or other organizations nominated by members, that will be shared on GEMI website and social media.
- Enhance communication between buyers and suppliers to improve understanding of buyers’ sustainability expectations (why / how supplier data used) and awareness of suppliers’ experiences.
- Deliverable: Organize an SCS Workshop on April 11-12 in Houston. Facilitate discussion with key buyers regarding their supplier sustainability expectations as well as supplier pain points. Develop executive summary highlighting insights and opportunities shared through workshop.
- Deliverable: Develop GEMI Quick Guide on Strategic Buyer / Supplier Collaboration. The GEMI Responsible Supply Chain Guiding Principles may serve as a framework for the document. The document will highlight best practices and strategies to promote strategic buyer/supplier collaboration and innovation, and include company case studies examining successful programs.
- Promote dialogue with SCS data collectors (3rd party providers / industry-specific coalitions) on opportunities to streamline data collection, promote mutual recognition, and enhance focus on value-driven outcomes.
- Deliverable: Organize an SCS Workshop in Fall 2018 to continue discussion with key buyers on sustainability expectations, while also engaging 3rd party data collectors regarding opportunities to streamline and enhance value of data collection efforts. Develop executive summary highlighting insights and opportunities shared through workshop.
- Deliverable: Develop and publish 2-3 case studies examining why and how data in selected harmonization efforts is used for business-decision making, and highlighting opportunities to enhance coordination across efforts.
GEMI offers a unique platform for companies and industry trade associations to engage with corporate leaders, fellow industry groups, NGOs and 3rd party providers on industry-focused supply chain sustainability issues, and promote increased alignment across initiatives. We welcome representatives of companies and industry trade associations to join GEMI’s efforts in 2018.
Please contact us if you would like to learn more about participation in GEMI’s SCS Work Group, including 2018 participation fees and expected deliverables.