GEMI Sustainability 101 Training Toolkit for Industry Employees
This training toolkit has been developed for use in training entry- to mid-level employees in various roles across industries to provide a baseline understanding of core sustainability concepts; increase awareness of how sustainability impacts business; and, identify simple opportunities to contribute to sustainability objectives.
GEMI developed this set of PowerPoint templates for businesses to use in training entry- to mid-level employees in various roles across industries to provide a baseline understanding of core sustainability concepts; increase awareness of how sustainability impacts business; and, identify simple opportunities to contribute to sustainability objectives.
The training package includes four modules, at present, and each module is accompanied by brief business case examples. The templates are designed to be flexible and are intended for businesses to adapt to support their internal sustainability training needs. Each module is designed to be reviewed in 15-30 minutes.
This training package was developed in a collaborative process by GEMI members, in collaboration with the US EPA Region 4 Office of Sustainability. Special thanks to US EPA Region 4 for offering its E3 Sustainable Manufacturing Curriculum as a framework for this effort.
- Module 1: What is Sustainability. Provides a basic overview of the concept of sustainability and its impact on business.
- Module 2: Drivers for Sustainability. Presents global megatrends and their connection with sustainability in business.
- Module 3: Business Value. Introduces the value of sustainability to both employees and the business.
- Module 4: Tools for Sustainability. Introduces tools to support sustainability initiatives and provides case examples.
We welcome your comments on this training package and ideas for future sustainability training tools.
- Aqueduct, WRI. http://www.wri.org/our-work/project/aqueduct
- CEO Challenge; Navigating the Sustainability Transformation, Conference Board. https://www.conference-board.org/publications/publicationdetail.cfm?publicationid=2885¢erId=5
- Collecting the Drops, GEMI. http://waterplanner.gemi.org/index.htm
- Connecting the Drops, GEMI. http://gemi.org/water/
- E3 Sustainable Manufacturing Curriculum, US EPA. https://www.epa.gov/e3/e3-sustainable-manufacturing-curriculum
- Employee Engagement is Key to Sustainable Success, Sustainable Brands. http://www.sustainablebrands.com/news_and_views/jul2012/employee-engagement-key-sustainable-success
- Energy Star Energy Program Assessment Matrix, US EPA. https://www.energystar.gov/buildings/tools-and-resources/energy-program-assessment-matrix-excel /
- Energy Star Facility Energy Assessment Matrix, US EPA. https://www.energystar.gov/buildings/tools-and-resources/facility-energy-assessment-matrix-excel
- Energy Star Guidelines for Energy Management, US EPA. https://www.energystar.gov/buildings/about-us/how-can-we-help-you/build-energy-program/guidelines
- Energy Star Treasure Hunt Guide, US EPA. https://www.energystar.gov/buildings/tools-and-resources/energy-star-treasure-hunt-guide-simple-steps-finding-energy-savings
- Global Material Flows and Resource Productivity, UNEP. http://unep.org/documents/irp/16-00169_LW_GlobalMaterialFlowsUNEReport_FINAL_160701.pdf
- Guide to Successful Corporate-NGO Partnerships, GEMI-EDF. http://gemi.org/solutions/publications/corporatengopartnerships/
- Lean Manufacturing Toolkit, US EPA. https://www.epa.gov/lean/lean-manufacturing-resources
- Local Water Tool, GEMI. http://www.gemi.org/localwatertool
- Millennials Desire to Do Good Defines Workplace Culture, SHRM. https://www.shrm.org/ResourcesAndTools/hr-topics/behavioral-competencies/global-and-cultural-effectiveness/Pages/Millennial-Impact.aspx
- Our Common Future, UN. http://www.un-documents.net/our-common-future.pdf
- Pollution Prevention (P2), US EPA. https://www.epa.gov/p2/learn-about-pollution-prevention#specifics
- Quick Guide on Cultivating Sustainability with an Organization, GEMI. http://gemi.org/portfolio/cultivating-sustainability-within-organization/
- Quick Guide on Engaging Employees in Sustainability, GEMI. http://gemi.org/solutions/solutions-quick-guides/engagingemployeesinsustainability/
- Quick Guide on Materiality, GEMI. http://gemi.org/solutions/solutions-quick-guides/materiality/
- SDG Compass, GRI, UNGC, WBCSD. http://sdgcompass.org/
- Shares of Global Middle-Class Consumption, OECD. https://www.oecd.org/dev/44457738.pdf
- Sustainability 101 Quick Guide, GEMI. http://gemi.org/portfolio/sustainability-101-quick-guide/
- Sustainability and the US EPA. https://www.epa.gov/sustainability/sustainability-and-us-epa
- Sustainable Materials Management, US EPA. https://www.epa.gov/smm/sustainable-materials-management-basics
- The World’s Water, USGS. http://water.usgs.gov/edu/earthwherewater.html
- Towards a Circular Economy: Business Rationale for an Accelerated Transition, Ellen MacArthur Foundation. https://www.ellenmacarthurfoundation.org/assets/downloads/TCE_Ellen-MacArthur-Foundation-9-Dec-2015.pdf
- Transparency: A Path to Public Trust, GEMI. http://gemi.org/solutions/publications/transparency/
- Urbanization, UNFPA. http://www.unfpa.org/urbanization
- US Census Bureau, International Data Base, August 2016 Update. http://www.census.gov/population/international/data/idb/worldpopgraph.php
- Use of Energy in the United States Explained, US EIA. http://www.eia.gov/energyexplained/?page=us_energy_industry
- WaterMAPP, GEMI-EDF. http://gemi.org/EDFGEMIwaterMAPP/
- WaterSense, US EPA. https://www3.epa.gov/watersense/
- Well-Being Index, Gallup-Healthways. http://www.well-beingindex.com/